Sep 3, 2008

In the Realm of Love - Allama Iqbal

I strongly believe that in these words lies the solution to various crises that Pakistan is experiencing today, ranging from corruption and injustice to the crisis of national identity and protecting our sovereignty.

In the Realm of Love

Allama Iqbal

dayaar-e-ishq mein apna maqaam paida kar
nayaa zamaana naye subah shaam paida kar

khuda agar dil-e-fitrat shanaas de tujhko
sukoot-e-lala-o-gul se kalaam paida kar

uthaa na sheesha garan-e-farang ke ehsaan
safal-e-paak se meena-o-jaam paida ker

mein shaakh-e-taak hun, meri ghazal hai mera samr
mere samr se mae-laala-faam paida kar

mera tareek ameeri nahi fakeeri hai
khudi na baich, gareebi mein naam paida kar

Create a place for thyself in the realm of ishq (love, Divine presence);
Create a new age, new days and nights.

If God grant thee an eye for nature’s heart,
Create poetry from the silence of Tulips and roses.

Do not be beholden to the West’s artisans,
Create your wine and glass with the clay thy soil affords.

My ghazal is the essence of my life-blood,
Create thy elixir of life out of this essence.
(I am an small part of a broader view, My poem is my essence;
From my essence, create wine with fragrance of tulip.)

My way of life is poverty, not the pursuit of wealth;
Barter not thy Selfhood; win a name in adversity.

------
It is said that Iqbal wrote this poem on receiving the first letter from his son Javed in London.

No comments: